Erectile Dysfunction Treatments in Toronto
What is erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction, often abbreviated as ED and rarely referred to as impotence, is a common type of male sexual dysfunction that makes it difficult, if not impossible, for a man to get or maintain an erection. Erectile dysfunction may occur every once in a while, especially as men grow older, but frequent occurrences of erectile dysfunction are not normal.
What causes erectile dysfunction?
As men grow older, the blood vessels in their penis deteriorate and often build up micro-plaque. Micro-plaque can get in the way of proper blood flow and can even block it, making it very difficult, and in some cases, impossible, to have an erection.
While cardiovascular problems (i.e., heart conditions, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, etc.) make up the majority of the most common causes, there are other causes of erectile dysfunction. Hormonal imbalances or low testosterone may be to blame.
Some of the causes are related to mental health, too: depression, anxiety, stress, and even having relationship problems can play a role in having erectile dysfunction, as well as antidepressants and prescribed medications.
Am I at risk for erectile dysfunction?
It’s more common for erectile dysfunction to occur with age, but growing older doesn’t necessarily put you “at risk” of having ED because not everyone who experiences it deals with it on a regular basis.
Certain medical conditions can increase the risk of erectile dysfunction, like Peyronie’s disease, prostate cancer, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, and multiple sclerosis. Prostate surgery and radiation treatments for cancer can also increase risk. Other erectile dysfunction risk factors include drug use and abuse, inactivity, smoking, and alcohol use and abuse.
What are the signs and symptoms of erectile dysfunction?
Common erectile dysfunction symptoms and signs include the following:
- Occasionally being able to get an erection but not every time you’re ready for having sex
- Being able to get an erection but failing to keep it long enough for having sex
- Failing to get an erection at any time
Why should I see a Toronto erectile dysfunction doctor about ED treatments options?
Erectile dysfunction is common and can be managed. It’s not your fault and not something to be embarrassed about. Erectile dysfunction may be a symptom of a more serious health problem, and an ED diagnosis may actually be able to help you figure out what that more pressing problem could be.
Plus, erectile dysfunction does more than affect your physical well being. It can lead to depression, increase anxiety and stress, and negatively impact your self-esteem. You might not be able to satisfy your partner, which may lead to relationship problems.
Addressing erectile dysfunction now can prevent further issues later down the road.
What erectile dysfunction treatments options are available in Toronto?
- Shockwave therapy: Known as GAINSWave ®, this therapy uses sound waves to break down micro-plaque in the penis’s blood vessels and to encourage the growth of new blood vessels, resulting in a longer and stronger erection.
- TRT: TRT, also known as testosterone replacement therapy, may be an option if low testosterone is the cause of your erectile dysfunction. If artery blockages are the cause, TRT will not be an effective treatment option.
- Platelet Rich Plasma therapy: PRP takes the healing properties in your own blood & it puts them exactly where we want to accelerate healing.
- Penis pump: Penis pumps, a kind of vacuum device, cause erections by pulling blood into the penis.
- Oral medications: Medications like Viagra and Cialis are taken by mouth before having sex. However, if you have a heart condition, oral ED medications are not an option. Some men find the side effects of these medications intolerable.
- Supplements: Supplements for libido, circulation and to naturally support testosterone production are available.
- Referrals: Referrals to our expert partners for pelvic floor physiotherapy or talk therapy with a psychologist are also available.
What is GAINSWave®?
GAINSWave® is the commercial name for shockwave therapy, which uses sound waves to break down the micro-plaque that’s blocking blood flow through the penis. It also works to strengthen currently existing blood vessels while simultaneously creating newer ones, resulting in a longer, stronger erection.
While not every Toronto erectile dysfunction center is GAINSWave®-certified, Oakwood Health is.
What makes GAINSWave ® a good treatment option?
GAINSWave ® is a noninvasive, surgery-free, and drug-free procedure that targets the root cause of most erectile dysfunction cases: poor blood flow. The procedure takes 15 to 20 minutes and doesn’t require any downtime. There are no serious side effects to GAINSWave ®.
The procedure does take multiple sessions, usually anywhere from 6 to 12 sessions. Though this sounds like a lot, keep in mind that GAINSWave ® may actually save you thousands of dollars. Why? It doesn’t need to be taken regularly like other medication options. The results of GAINSWave ® typically last around 2 years, which is longer than most other erectile dysfunction treatments options. Best of all, many patients have reported improvements in their sex life following their first or second treatment!
Is GAINSWave ® right for me?
To determine if you’re the ideal candidate for GAINSWave ® therapy, talk to your Toronto erectile dysfunction doctor or schedule a consultation at Oakwood Health’s Toronto erectile dysfunction clinic today.
Where can I go in Toronto for erectile dysfunction treatments?
Oakwood Health is a certified GAINSWave ® provider and erectile dysfunction center in Toronto. All GAINSWave ® providers are required to undergo an extensive training course and be experienced in treating men’s sexual health issues.
Contact us today for more information or to schedule a consultation at our Toronto erectile dysfunction clinic.